Top Tips for Buying a Bed
The following are some general tips which are worth bearing in mind when buying a new bed:
- Decide your priorities and concerns in advance. For example, is it: price, storage, access to bedroom, turning the mattress, getting in and out of bed, overall size or shape, a health issue, etc
- If possible, try a selection of beds for comparison before you buy. Set aside enough time to do the job properly so you can appreciate the differences.
- Buy for correct support and comfort for your weight and build – not just firmness.
- Wear comfortable clothing, remove any outdoor gear and lie on the bed for quite a long time – at least 10 minutes. Lie down in your normal sleeping position and make some turns, too.
- If the bed is for two people, you should both try it.. You both need to feel comfortable.
- Don’t forget a bed is a mattress and a base working together – don’t consider them in isolation.
- Think big – larger beds are more comfortable. Being disturbed by a sleeping partner is one of the most common complaints. With a larger bed you are less likely to disturb one another.
- Check dimensions. Bed sizes are not standardised and even if they have the same name (eg King size) they may not be the same size – especially if the mattress and base are not from the same manufacturer.
- You get what you pay for – both in product and service – so spend as much as you can afford. Consider the cost in the context of the life span of the bed. It's a funny thing that most of us would think nothing of spending much more money, on a car for example, with which we spend much less time.